I have received a fellowship from the graduate school at Tufts to work on my dissertation this summer – hooray! But, I have a number of other things that need to be finished over the course of the summer as well. I am breaking up my goals and schedule into dissertation and other projects, including this blog. I am mainly listing the dissertation goals here so that I have something to be accountable to (the internet). Here we go!
– Reread Falkner by Mary Shelley (one of the primary works in my dissertation) before starting to write about it
– Compile a list of quotes and scenes I could possibly use for the chapter
– Research around Falkner and do a lot of book and article reading (right now, my reading list includes Family Likeness by Mary Jean Corbett and The Orphaned Imagination by Giunn Batten)
– Put together at least an outline of a draft of my Falkner chapter; hopefully, at least a partially written draft by the end of the summer
– Post on the blog about what I’m doing dissertation-wise at least once a week; I’m hoping this extra pressure will help keep me actually working
– Put together a new English 1 syllabus for the fall
– Participate in reading and writing groups (a Spatial Theory reading group, plus a writing group featuring mostly post-docs)
– Start going to exercise classes; either yoga or rejoin the Y
– go to many beaches! Post pictures!
– Floss more. You know?
– Cook everything, and go to Sarma right down the road
– Gardening! I have recently started a little garden in the back of my house, and I hope to actually keep it alive. After it stops raining here, I’ll take pictures and post updates. I have some herbs (rosemary, dill, and thyme) and a few veggies (cucumbers, zucchini squash, and a small little kale plant)
These are fairly reasonable, I think. I am always wary of either underselling myself when it comes to what I can get done or completely overloading my life with so much that I can’t help but be mediocre. Hopefully I can accomplish most of these goals without compromising how well I do them.
But now, I would like to share some things that I HAVE accomplished this summer (and by accomplished I mean I went on vacation). The dissertation prospectus has been approved, and I am filing in on Thursday (finally! woohoo! hooray!) though not without some qualifications from my advisor, as per usual. Meanwhile, I attended two beautiful weddings, and I went to the beach! Funny story: one of my best friends Cori got married about 3 days after she became a Doctor of Medicine – quite the feat! But of course people made a bigger deal out of her wedding…typical. Here are Cori and Matt.
Two weeks after Cori got married, my cousin Tory got married (yeah, this is my life. Cori, then Tory). Tory and James’s wedding was a much more formal affair.
Very fancy! My little purse matched the decor. Here’s me and my fancy mom with our fancy hair and fancy dresses and all other things fancy:
Between these two lovely but very different nuptial gatherings, I decided it was high time for an actual vacation laying on the beach doing nothing but reading Game of Thrones and drinking beer. Judy came with!
So, while I did accomplish finishing the prospectus (sort of), my other accomplishments could more suitably be called…diversions. Or, pleasure pursuits. Or…just things I did that were fun and involved booze 😀